Hamilton is the fourth largest city in New Zealand, after Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. It is a wonderful city to learn or improve your English. It is also a great city to pursue tertiary studies. Many students choose New Zealand to pursue a university programme. As you may know, the New Zealand government places education as a country priority, therefore their educational standards are rather high to guarantee good quality education.
It is really impressive that one-third of the population in Hamilton are university students. With a population of 160.911 inhabitants, more than 40,000 are enrolled in tertiary education programmes. If you are a foreign student you will have to master your English skills to apply for university and we are sure Hamilton city won't disappoint you.
You will be part of a multicultural community that will make you feel at home. As New Zealanders are well known for being friendly, you will have the chance to put your English into practice and make friends at the same time!
"A different language is a different vision of life."- Federico Fellini
Why take ESOL lessons?
The reasons to take ESOL lessons are multiple. Here we highlight the most prominent:
- Learning English is not that hard: That's the first thing you need to know! learning English is way easier than learning many other languages, such as Spanish or French. In English, there are fewer word agreement rules, fewer conjugations and building vocabulary is not a big deal if you get to know a few rules. For instance, a typical French verb has more than fifty endings while English has only four.
- Learning English Opens Doors: Whether you are looking for a promotion in your current job, a raise in your salary or a whole new position, the rest is hopeful, your efforts to learn English will be rewarded. It is not a mystery that multi-lingual people are highly recruited by big companies since they are essential in today's global businesses.
- ESOL Lessons are Your Access to Higher Education: Many foreigners choose New Zealand to study every year. In order to apply for university programmes, foreigners need to master their English language skills and pass some international exams such as IELTS, TOEIC, TOEFL or Cambridge exams ( FCE, CAE)
- Learn English Using Literature, Pop Culture & Film: The number of materials available worldwide to learn English is huge. So, it doesn't matter where you are, you will always find books, magazines, music, radio emissions, podcasts, apps, theatre plays and movies in English.
- English is the Language of Business: English is the language that enables communication in the world of business and economics. It is important to have a good grasp of general English before focusing on the specific vocabulary and expressions you may need to communicate effectively in this field.
- English is Spoken everywhere: if you are in an environment where your mother tongue is not spoken, you will most likely have to communicate in English. There will always be someone who speaks English in any country. If you are travelling abroad and you don't speak the local language, you may need to speak English. Whether you need tourist information or to find out where there is a toilet, the only way will be English.
As you have seen, these are the main reasons why learning English is essential in nowadays' life. You won't feel fully integrated and included if you don't, at least, give it a try.
The Cognitive Benefits of Speaking More than One Language
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein
Many people in the world speak more than one language. Today 66% of the world's children are bilingual. 56% of Europeans are bilingual. Bilingualism is a reality, not a rarity.
“We have strong evidence today that studying a foreign language has a ripple effect, helping to improve student performance in other subjects.” ― Richard Riley
Speaking more than one language is, of course, useful for its primary function, communication. But it also has cognitive advantages. Although bilinguals cannot be said to be smarter, several cognitive aspects seem to improve. The old idea that bilingualism causes confusion is now out of the question.
Brain plasticity has time windows. The earlier you learn a second language, the better. But it is never too late to learn and benefit from it. But we also know that bilinguals can learn a third language better than monolinguals can learn a second language.
There is enough evidence today to say that speaking more than one language has many advantages for your brain. For example, separating the irrelevant from the important or switching easily from one task to another is faster and simpler for bilingual people.
People who are bilingual provide a better response to confusing or conflicting situations. This is due to the ability to discard stimuli from the other language. In other words, if we present a task that consists of responding with the right hand to a stimulus that appears on the left side of the visual field, the performance of bilinguals is superior. Another classic test is the Stroop Task. It consists of reading a colour that is written in another colour. For example, the word "red" is presented in blue. Again, bilinguals score better.
In addition, bilingual brains are more resistant to ageing and diseases such as Alzheimer's. In a study of 200 Alzheimer's patients, the first symptoms appeared 5 years later in bilinguals (77.7 vs. 72.6) and the diagnosis occurred 4 years later (80.8 vs. 76.5).
"Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about things."- Flora Lewis
The Best English Language Educators in Hamilton
Best English Language Schools
If you are a rather traditional person, you may be thinking about attending English courses in a language school in Hamilton. If that's the case, we recommend you to have a look at the English courses the following schools offer:
- Waikato Institute of Education: This prestigious institution offers more than 12 different English languages courses, such as general English, High school preparation, IELTS and Cambridge exams preparation, and Practical English for work, among others.
- Hamilton English Language Academy: Also known as HELA, this language school focus on tutoring students who are learning English as a second language.
- English Language Partners: This language centre offers a wide range of English courses, including English preparation for exams or English for job seekers. It is possible to take English courses online or in person.
- Wintec (Waikato Institute of Technology): They provide English lessons for everyone who wants to improve their job or study opportunities, especially for foreigners and refugees.
On the contrary, if you are less traditional and more innovative, you may be thinking about taking English lessons with a private tutor. In fact, language schools are becoming a thing of the past. Thanks to the world wide web, it is possible to learn many things with a smaller budget and way more flexibility.
“Speak a new language so that the world will be a new world.” - Rumi
Superprof English Tutors
Founded in 2013, Superprof has become the best tutoring website in today's education industry. Those who want to start learning or consolidating a variety of academic subjects, skills, and hobbies, don't have to struggle anymore. Superprof is here to save the day! Our dedicated teachers offer competitive and affordable prices and hold amazing qualifications from prestigious universities.
We recommend that ESOL students browse through the tutors offered in their area to find out which might suit their profile and level of English. In addition, prices depend on the years of teaching experience of every tutor, their qualification and diplomas, and the reviews left by their former students. Nevertheless, the rate per hour fluctuates from 10$ to $50. So, we can guarantee affordable prices for everyone who needs private tutoring.
Well, that's not the best part. Actually, the best part of it all is that our Superprof tutors offer the first lesson free of charge in 99% of the cases! You may wonder why. That's simple. We want you to be sure that you have picked the most suitable teacher for your needs.
If you live in other cities in New Zealand, don't forget you can find a Superprof tutor whether you live in Tauranga or Manukau city. You can also choose from in-person or online lessons with our Superprof tutors. All of them are flexible enough to even do both depending on your requirements and availability.
Therefore, in conclusion, learning English as a second or third language in the city of Hamilton is completely possible due to the talents of our Superprof tutors, who are passionate about teaching and are willing to help you achieve your goals.
The platform that connects tutors and students