If you live in Manukau and you need to improve your English skills, don't worry! You don't really need to go to Auckland. There are many local options to help you achieve your goals. Mastering your English is the key to any of your projects in the future. If you improve your English language skills, that means, you will feel more confident in your personal, social, academic and professional life.
In today's article, we will review the most common English international exams, where to learn English in the Manukau area and how Superprof can help you succeed.
Which International English Exams Choose
Are you confused and wondering which is the best official English language certification for which you should prepare?
There are many official English language exams. Between TOEIC and TOEFL, IELTS, BULATS or CAE, it is clear that the decision is not an easy one. When choosing between the best exams, you run the risk of feeling overwhelmed. We also advise you to improve your English and train for the exam with a private tutor before you take it.
Rather than worrying about the merits of individual qualifications and certifications, we advise you to consider how you want to use the language certification you are going to obtain. Do you need to learn Business English or General English? Do you need to demonstrate that you have the necessary skills to study in New Zealand or any other English speaking country? Are you going to use English in a particular professional sector?
To help you make this difficult decision, we have made a brief summary of the most relevant international exams to certify your level of English. This way, you can choose the one that suits you best:
- TOEIC: The Test of English for International Communication, better known as TOEIC, is one of the English exams you should consider if you want to increase your opportunities for international employment and study. It is a standardised test to measure non-native speakers' knowledge and proficiency in English, always based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) assessment certifications, specifically from level A1 to C1. The test measures the four language skills ( Reading, writing, listening and speaking).
- BULATS: The BULATS test was discontinued in December 2019. The equivalent Cambridge English Business English test is now called the Linguaskill. This new test is aimed at meeting the immediate requirements of corporate and educational organisations to measure the English language proficiency levels of students and staff in a reliable, practical, accurate and high-quality manner. It measures the four language skills and it's a multilevel test, thus you can get a certificate from A1-c2 level of proficiency. It's an online test.
- TOEFL: the Test of English as a Foreign Language is an English language test that measures your ability to understand and use the language: it certifies your knowledge of the language at an international level. This test measures a person's competence in listening, reading, writing, speaking and grammar structuring of the English language. There are two modalities, TOEFL IBT ( Internet-based test) and TOEFL PBT ( Paper-based test). You can also choose to pass the TOEFL academic or general, depending on your purpose. TOEFL Academic is accepted in more than 11.000 universities in 150 different countries.
“Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.” Sarah Caldwell
- IELTS: The International English Language Testing System is an exam that enjoys great prestige and popularity on an international scale. It is accepted by thousands of institutions in English-speaking countries and by universities and organisations where English is widely used. Whether you want to study a degree or postgraduate course abroad or need to prove your actual level of English to apply for a job or visa, you'll find this certificate useful. You can take this test in two formats,paper-based or computer-delivered(Computer-delivered IELTS).
- CAE: The CAE (Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English) is the exam that certifies the ability to communicate in English in a business or university environment. According to the Common European Framework of Reference, it corresponds to level C1 of the language. This exam is recognised by more than 8000 international companies and educational institutions, as it certifies that test takers have advanced communication skills in English. In addition, the exam can be taken in two different modes: written and/or computer-based.
Notice that sometimes some testing centres don't have availability, so we recommend you to check availability in other cities, such as Wellington or Christchurch if you really need to pass an international exam and you are running out of time.
Where to learn English in the Manukau area?
- Manukau Institute of Technology: They offer English language courses for local and international students. In order to access these courses, you have to either have a New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 1) or a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) A2. They focus on developing language skills that are necessary to pursue tertiary education programmes.
- English Language Partners Auckland South: This institution teaches English in major cities in New Zealand, either for work or everyday life. They offer a wide range of English courses for all levels and needs. Most of their English classes are free for New Zealand resident visa holders. They also provide English courses that help migrants and refugees get integrated into society. In addition, they work with qualified teachers and some of them are volunteer ESOL instructors.
- University of Auckland: if you live in Manukau, you are not too far from Auckland. You may need to go there in case you are preparing for IELTS since their English Language Academy (ELA) is an official IELTS centre. They also provide a wide variety of English courses through their online platform.
- Numbers, Works and Words: This tuition centre located in the heart of Manukau, provides English and maths tuition for kids and adolescents. They offer tailor-made English lessons linked to the New Zealand educational curriculum. They could be a solution for those kids who are struggling in English and their parents don't have the linguistic competencies to help them out.
- My Tuition: This tuition centre offers different kinds of services, such as after school workshops, NCEA exams preparation courses, private tutoring at home, local public libraries or online. They also support local schools by creating programmes for refugee students to get to know the national curriculum.
- First Tutors: This website can help you find an English tutor in Manukau and surrounding areas. Their platform offers tutors to students from primary school to university level. Lessons can be carried out in person or online.
However, if you want to learn with the best, have a look at our Superprof English language educators on our website.
Superprof English Language Tutors
Since its foundation in 2013, Superprof has become the best tutoring website in today's education industry. With more than 15 million tutors worldwide and counting! We are one of the largest tutoring communities in the whole world! Those who want to start learning or consolidating a variety of academic subjects, skills, and hobbies, don't have to struggle anymore. Superprof is here to save the day! Our passionate teachers offer competitive and affordable prices and hold amazing qualifications from prestigious universities. They are always ready to share their wonderful knowledge and skills with you.
On the Superprof platform, you can easily find a tutor who will make you achieve your goals. Doesn't it sound amazing? But what about the prices? Well, prices depend on the years of teaching experience of every tutor, their qualification and diplomas, and the reviews left by their former or current tutees. Nevertheless, the rate per hour in Manukau fluctuates from 15$ to $50. So, we can guarantee affordable prices for everyone who needs private tutoring.
And you know what? That's not the best part. Actually, the best part of it all is that our Superprof tutors offer the first lesson free of charge in 99% of the cases! You may wonder why. That's simple. We want you to be sure that you have picked the most suitable teacher to start your learning adventure.
You can also choose from in-person or online lessons with our Superprof tutors. All of them are able to do both, depending on your requirements and availability.
Therefore, in conclusion, learning or improving your English as a second or third language in the city of Manukau is completely possible thanks to the talents of our Superprof tutors, who are passionate about teaching and are willing to help you achieve your goals.
The platform that connects tutors and students