Wellington, the nation's capital, is a vibrant, exciting cultural city with many interesting shops, cafes, bars, bookshops and art galleries and with its renowned nightlife, it is truly the ultimate urban destination in New Zealand.
What about the landscape? Wellington is nestled between beaches and gentle mountain forests. It also offers a wide variety of nature and wildlife experiences. Doesn't it sound amazing? You can climb Mount Victoria, enjoy the wonderful Botanic Gardens or learn to surf off the coast, everything in the same city, and if you want, on the same day.
Wellington also boasts a wide range of tourist attractions including Te Papa, the National Museum of New Zealand, and over 50 other museums and galleries.
Still wondering if Wellington is a good city to learn English? Well, we haven't even mentioned that the quality of education in the whole country is of the highest standards.
“Do you know what a foreign accent is? It’s a sign of bravery.” -Amy Chua
English Courses in Wellington
Wellington is a wonderful city to live in, learn and put into practice your English. There's no doubt about it! There are different English language schools in Wellington. Here we recommend you the best ones:
- NZLC Wellington: The New Zealand Language Centre is an institute founded in 1984, with more than 35 years of experience dedicated to English language training. It is registered, certified, authorised and endorsed by the NZ Authorities through the NZQA. According to the NZQA, it is a category 1 school and as of 2017, it is assigned by the New Zealand authorities as very secure educational performance and self-evaluation capacity.
- Campbell Institute Wellington: Founded in 2002, the Campbell Institute has a long history of recognition for offering the best academic teaching, with a large staff of highly qualified teachers. It strives to provide the utmost attention to the students participating in its courses through the strength of the social, educational and formal paradigm in New Zealand.
- English Language Partners: This institution teaches English for work and everyday life in New Zealand. They offer a wide range of English courses for all levels and needs. Most of their English classes are free for New Zealand resident visa holders. They work with qualified teachers and some of them are volunteer ESOL instructors.
- ELI: The English Language Institute at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington focus on training students to improve their English skills so they are ready to apply for university programmes or scholarships. They offer English courses to prepare you for academic success.
All these schools are certified by the government and offer different kinds of courses, such as general English, business English, Exams preparation( IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, FCE, CAE) English for work, etc.
Notice that some of these institutions are testing centres, but don't always have availability to enrol to pass international exams. In that case, we recommend you to check availability in other cities, such as Auckland or maybe Christchurch if you really need to pass an international exam and you are running out of time.
"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." - Nelson Mandela
“Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.” - William Gibson
Tips to Become More Fluent in English
As you may know, learning a language is all about practice. However, learning grammar and vocabulary will not make you fluent. It is important to develop the four language skills: reading, listening, writing and speaking. In addition to this, we recommend you follow these tips to make faster progress :
- Build confidence: stop thinking that you cannot master English and remember to believe in the abilities that you do possess. If you acquire the confidence needed, you will learn to speak English in no time since you will be practising and making a sincere effort.
- Grammar is not all: it is much better to focus on speaking, reading, and listening than spending too much time getting confused with English grammar. It is essential to state that the majority of native English speakers don't even have mastery over grammar!
- Learn a New Word Every Day: try reading the newspaper, watching television, or listening to the radio and acquiring a new vocabulary word that you will remember every day. By doing this, more difficult words are learnt from the beginning.
- Speak to Yourself: although it may sound like something only mad people do, by talking to yourself in front of a mirror, words are frequently practised, and conversation skills are honed. Also, a bonus is that you can observe the way your mouth moves for certain words which makes pronunciation better.
On the other hand, it is relevant to say that learning a language is all about developing skills. Many language school courses focus on learning grammar and vocabulary through a teacher-centred approach. On the contrary, with a private English tutor, you and your needs are the only focus of attention.
“You can never understand one language until you understand at least two.” - Geoffrey Willans
A Superprof teacher can help you master everything you need in order to become more fluent by strengthening your listening, writing, speaking and reading skills at a much faster pace. To achieve that, you need to practise as much as possible and focus on your weaker skills. Those are usually the productive skills, speaking and writing since they involve many different cognitive functions in our brain.
Don't forget that it doesn't matter where you are, you can always find a Superprof tutor to help you out whether you are in Wellington or Manukau city.
The Advantages of Hiring a Private English Tutor
If you want to make progress more quickly, you may need to have one-on-one lessons. Here we tell you why it is good to hire a tutor to improve your language skills:
- Affordable prices: instead of paying large sums of money to attend a prestigious language institute, the lessons designed and taught by personal language tutors offer the most bang for the buck. Each session is dedicated and tailored to your needs since you are the only one learning. This means that you can ask the tutor to add or remove subjects that interest you.
- Language Experts: the vast majority of language educators offering classes online or face-to-face are qualified and possess the most reputable certifications. Why do they tutor? Native speakers might acquire language training courses to teach students to earn money to pay for their schooling. Nevertheless, their main goal is to help all pupils learn fluency in the foreign tongue they are acquiring. While language exchange programmes are great, nothing beats the expertise of a trained professional!
- Dynamism and flexibility: instead of having to attend classes with a group at the same rigid time each week, language tutors are adaptable and adjust their lessons to a time and place most convenient for the learner; now that's service with a smile! Therefore, if an unplanned event occurs, you can request a time change with your tutor without losing any money or progress.
“Learning a foreign language, and the culture that goes with it, is one of the most useful things we can do to broaden the empathy and imaginative sympathy and cultural outlook of children.” - Michael Andrew Gove
Where to Find a Qualified English Teacher in Wellington
While learning English at an academic institute or language school is a completely adequate and interesting option, it is relevant to say that nowadays various technology choices make learning English way easier than before. For example, getting help from an online tutor.
Private tutoring has become more and more popular with the spread of the internet. With just a few clicks you can get help from a qualified tutor to get prepared to pass exams or just to brush up on your knowledge, not only in English but any subject, sport or hobby.
Superprof has the best ESOL educators in Wellington and the entire country, including cities such as Tauranga or Hamilton. Offering courses at a time and place most convenient for the learner; attending a language school is becoming an old-fashioned idea.
Nevertheless, since there are so many websites to find English tutors, many learners may be confused as to choosing the best option; So, the following list briefly explains why Superprof is the best in the education industry:
- In-person or online lessons
- Time and place depends on the student's availability
- Prices are affordable
- Tutors are experts in their fields
- The first lesson is free of charge.
- Friendly support team
Learn with the best, our Superprof tutors are ready to help you improve your English skills and any other subject you can imagine! Book your English lessons now!
The platform that connects tutors and students