Christchurch is the oldest city established in New Zealand, thus a city with a lot of history. It is also the second most populated city after Auckland and before Wellington. Moreover, Christchurch has a vibrant student life. Many students from all over the world choose this city to carry out their secondary and tertiary education. Furthermore, Christchurch is one of the main destinations for international students to learn or improve their English.
It is fundamental to master your language skills if you want to live, study and work in Christchurch. It is also important for your personal and social skills development towards integration. So today we will recommend you some of the best options to learn or improve your language skills in the largest city on the southern island of New Zealand.
“You live a new life for every language you speak. If you know only one language, you live only once.” - Czech proverb
English Language Schools in Christchurch
If you are in Christchurch you may want to attend a local English language school. So here we recommend you the top 3 in the area:
- CCEL: The college of English from the University of Canterbury is one of the most prestigious institutions to study English in New Zealand. They provide different kinds of English courses, including general English, IELTS preparation and English for academic purposes. They are also a TOEIC official test centre.
- Wilkinson's Language School: Also known as WELS, this language school is located in the Addington area. They offer a wide variety of English courses, such as IELTS preparation, everyday life English and business English, among others. Their small size classes are a big plus since that allows students to work on their language skills more efficiently.
- English Language Partners Auckland South: This institution teaches English in major cities in New Zealand, either for work or everyday life. They offer a wide range of English courses for all levels and needs. Most of their English classes are free for New Zealand resident visa holders. They also provide English courses that help migrants and refugees get integrated into society. In addition, they work with qualified teachers and some of them are volunteer ESOL instructors.
“Any time you think some other language is strange, remember that yours is just as strange, you’re just used to it.” - Anonymous
On the other hand, you may need a private tutor to make faster progress. There are several options for private tuition in Christchurch. We will review the in the next section of this article.
English Tuition in Christchurch
As we know, learning English can be hard, so don't hesitate to ask for help. If you live in Christchurch, you will find different tuition services, such as:
- Numbers, Works and Words: This tuition centre located in the heart of Christchurch, provides English and maths tuition for kids and adolescents. They offer tailor-made English lessons linked to the New Zealand educational curriculum. They could be a solution for those kids who are struggling in English and their parents don't have the linguistic competencies to help them out.
- My Tuition: This tuition centre offers different kinds of services, such as after school workshops, NCEA exams preparation courses, private tutoring at home, local public libraries or online. They also support local schools by creating programmes for refugee students to get to know the national curriculum.
- First Tutors: This website can help you find an English tutor in Manukau and surrounding areas. Their platform offers tutors to students of all ages and levels. Lessons can be carried out in person or online.
- Ahead Start: it provides one-on-one tuition for kids, adolescents and adults in Christchurch. They focus on secondary school students in Years 9 to 13, particularly those studying to succeed in the NCEA Levels. They also provide tuition to prepare for international English exams and IB Curriculum. Ahead Start offers tuition plans to work on a weekly or monthly basis with the same tutor. The lessons are carried out in public libraries, such as the University of Canterbury Libraries, at home or online.
- Inspiration Education: This tuition centre offers English lessons for high school students, to improve their grades and also to prepare them for the NCEA English levels. They also offer tuition for uni students or any person who needs tailor-made lessons. They have created their very own model of learning using education psychology.
Most of these tuition services to learn English are available in the whole country, including Manukau city.
Improving Your English Language Skills in Christchurch
First of all, to improve your English language skills, you need to understand what they are and why they are fundamental:
Receptive language skills:
- Listening comprehension: listening and understanding communication, making sense of what is heard, paying attention to the intentionality, the feelings of the speaker and the ideas underlying his or her discourse.
- Reading comprehension: reading, understanding what is being read, not just decoding words without further ado, but accessing their meaning in order to make sense of what is being read. This is of great importance as reading develops learning in other areas of knowledge, as it allows us to learn about and reflect on new ideas.
Productive Language skills:
- Oral expression or speaking: speaking, giving coherence and meaning to the discourse, beyond the emission of sounds or words. It consists of conveying our own ideas and feelings in a coherent and orderly manner so that our interlocutor understands us.
- Written expression: production of written language through which we not only limit ourselves to scribbling, but we also set out our thoughts, organising their content.
Many language school courses focus on learning grammar and vocabulary through a teacher-centred approach. On the contrary, with a private English tutor, you and your needs are the only focus of attention. Like this, you can strengthen your listening, writing, speaking and reading skills at a much faster pace.
In order to achieve a deep degree of proficiency, you need to practise as much as possible and focus on your weaker skills. It is usually harder to master the productive skills, speaking and writing since they involve many different cognitive functions in our brain.
Apart from working with a private English tutor, there are many things you can do in daily life to improve your English language skills, such as:
- Using language applications
- Listening to the radio and podcasts
- Reading local newspapers
- Watching movies
- Listening to music
- Attending language exchange meetings
- Speak to Yourself in front of a mirror
- Book a lesson with Superprof private tutor
The Best Private English Teachers in the Christchurch Area
Superprof has the best English tutors in Christchurch. They all hold prestigious diplomas from well-reputed institutions such as The University of Canterbury or Lincoln University. So, nothing to be worried about! All our tutors have a solid formation in their fields of study. You just have to search for them on the Superprof platform and you will find the best English teacher to achieve your goals.
Moreover, our tutors offer competitive and affordable prices depending on teacher's experience, their qualifications and diplomas, and the reviews left by their former or current tutees. You can easily access their profiles on our website. For instance, the rate per hour in Christchurch fluctuates from 20$ to $50.
Our Superprof tutors offer the first lesson free of charge in 99% of the cases! You may wonder why. That's simple. We want you to be sure that you have picked the most suitable teacher to start your learning experience.
You can also choose from in-person or online lessons with our Superprof tutors. All of them are able to do both, depending on your requirements and availability.
Developing language skills can be really hard if you don't get the necessary help to guide you towards proficiency. Fortunately today, it is much simpler to get some help thanks to the wide offer available in private tuition.
If you are struggling with English, don't hesitate to ask for help. A private tutor could be the solution to succeed, whether you are a student passing IELTS, TOEFL or your NCEA levels exams or you are starting a new career. A qualified, affordable, and passionate English teacher is waiting for you! Superprof has the best private tutors in the education industry to help you out.
The platform that connects tutors and students