“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.”- Jules Verne, A Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
There are many things in life that we simply don't like. The problem is that we often don't even give them a chance. In my personal experience, I have always hated mathematics. However, I managed to get good grades with study, dedication, and effort to earn a scholarship. I also discovered that maths is a very useful science for everyday life as biology, chemistry or physics. So if you think you are bad at something or someone told you that you are not good enough, it is best to at least give it a try. How do you know if there is a hidden talent in you?
Therefore, whether you want to improve your English, learn a new language or the basics of astronomy, do it with passion, your dedication will pay off. You will see improvements and benefits from your sincere efforts.
Nevertheless, you may need some help to achieve your goals. Don't feel ashamed to ask for support. For instance, a personal tutor makes reviewing any academic subject much simpler with their wonderful skills and knowledge.
So today, we will tell you how to find the best biology teacher in the Christchurch area. Whether you are passing your NCEA levels exams this year or you are about to start a new career or job related to science, Superprof is here to save the day!
How Many Branches Does Biology Have?
Biology is one of those fundamental subjects in our primary and secondary school years. This science has more than 30 subdisciplines. However, we only study a few branches of biology during our formative years.
The most common branches of biology taught at school are the following:
- Botany: This subdiscipline analyses the physiology, structure, genetics, ecology, distribution, classification, and economic importance of plants, flowers, and trees. So, if you have a green hand, botany must be one of your fortresses. It is essential to know at least a bit of botany to do something as quotidian as watering your plants.
- Anatomy: It is the branch of biology that studies the body structure of living beings, as the shape, location, interrelation and appearance of the parts and organs that make up their bodies. We have all studied anatomy at school since it is one of the fundamental branches of biology. If you can name the parts of your body and the organs it is composed of, you know the basics of human anatomy. That's a good start!
- Ecology: Today this concept is on everyone's lips. Well, if you haven't heard it much, maybe you are not being so eco-friendly. Ecology is the branch of biology that studies living beings, the interaction between organisms and the environment. It is meant to understand how animals, plants and humans coexist in a particular environment. So, being eco-friendly is something we as human beings should keep in mind!
“The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions.”-
- Marine Biology: If you love the ocean, this must be your favourite branch of biology. This subdiscipline studies the living organisms that survive in the world's water bodies. It is responsible for the study of the living beings that inhabit marine ecosystems. On the one hand, its main objective is the conservation and care of marine species, flora, fauna and their ecosystem. Likewise, marine biology is in charge of obtaining a quantitative description of all of them.
- Zoology: Studies members of the animal kingdom and animal life in general. It includes both the investigation of individual animals and their constituent parts, including at the molecular level, and the investigation of animal populations, entire faunas and the relationships of animals to each other, to plants and the non-living environment. If you are an animal lover, zoology should be right up your alley.
- Biotechnology: It involves the use of living organisms, cells or parts of cells to develop products, improving animals or plants, or improving biological processes. It is a technology based on biology, especially used in agriculture, pharmaceuticals, food science, environment and medicine. It is developed in a multidisciplinary approach involving various disciplines and sciences such as biology, biochemistry, genetics, virology, agronomy, engineering, physics, chemistry, medicine and veterinary medicine among others.
Where to Study a Biology Degree in Christchurch
If you live in Christchurch and you are planning to pursue a degree in biology. You are very lucky! Christchurch counts with two top universities to study biology programmes:
- University of Canterbury: This university was founded in 1873 by Oxford and Cambridge Scholars. It offers a wide range of biology programmes from Bachelor of Biological sciences to Post-doctorate degrees in Biochemistry or Biotechnology. It is nowadays ranked in the world's top 250 universities. It has such wonderful research facilities including the Biomolecular Interaction Centre, the Gateway Antarctica: Centre for Antarctic Studies and Research and the MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology.
- Lincoln University: it is ranked top 50 in the field of agriculture and forestry. It offers qualifications from certificate level through to PhD – Their teaching and research cover all activities associated with the agriculturally-based sectors, food industry and biotechnology, to meet the needs of not only New Zealand but also the world. They have great facilities and leading-edge research laboratories.
Biology Tuition in Christchurch
Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand and it's also the oldest city established in the country, thus a city with a lot of history. It is also the second most populated city after Auckland and before Wellington. Moreover, Christchurch has a vibrant student life. Many students from all over the world choose this city to carry out their secondary and tertiary education. In fact, all universities in New Zealand are ranked among the world's best universities.
As we know, learning biology can be a nightmare, so don't hesitate to ask for help. If you live in Christchurch, you will find different tuition services, such as:
- Ahead Start: it provides one-on-one tuition for kids, adolescents and adults in Christchurch. They focus on secondary school students in Years 9 to 13, particularly those studying to succeed in the NCEA Levels 1-3. They also provide tuition towards the Cambridge International Examinations (IGCSE) and the International Baccalaureate (IB). Ahead Start offers tuition plans to work on a weekly or monthly basis with the same tutor. The lessons are carried out in public libraries, such as the University of Canterbury Libraries, at home or online.
- Inspiration Education: This tuition centre offers biology lessons for high school students, to improve their grades and also to prepare them for the NCEA biology levels. They have created their very own model of learning using education psychology. This method is based on keeping the students' motivation at a high level in order to make them reach their goals.
The Best Private Biology Teachers in the Christchurch Area
Superprof has the best biology tutors in Christchurch. They all hold prestigious diplomas from well-reputed institutions such as The University of Canterbury or Lincoln University. So, nothing to be worried about! All our tutors have a solid formation in their fields of study. You just have to search for them on the Superprof platform and you will find the best biology teacher to achieve your goals.
As you have seen, biology is so vast that it could be really hard to cope with. Fortunately today, it is much simpler to get some help thanks to the wide offer available in private tuition. If you are struggling with any branch of biology, don't hesitate to ask for help. A private tutor could be the solution to succeed, whether you are a student passing your NCEA levels exams or you are starting a new career. A qualified, affordable, and passionate teacher is waiting for you! Superprof has the best private tutors in the education industry to help you out.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day." - Albert Einstein
How Much Does Private Tutoring Cost in Christchurch?
Private tutoring doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Thanks to the emergence of various private tutoring sites, it is now much simpler and cheaper to get help to improve in all those complex areas of study. Superprof offers tutors in over 1000 different disciplines, including biology, all over the world.
Sounds great, but what about the price? The price per hour varies according to the tutor's experience, qualifications, and reviews. However, the hourly rate goes from $15 to $50. So, if you are on a budget, you will still have the possibility to find the most suitable tutor who matches your profile and doesn't hurt your finances.
You don't live in Christchurch? don't worry! Superprof has tutors in the whole country, including Manukau city!
On the other hand, most of our teachers offer online tuition, which has become very popular, and it's usually less expensive than in-person learning. Nevertheless, if you are not fond of virtual lessons, you can always find in-person classes with a tutor according to your budget. It is important to have a clear view of the pros and cons of both learning methods, so you can put in balance which one suits you best according to your learning style and your budget.
In addition to this, the great majority of our tutors offer their first lesson free of charge. Because we wish you to enjoy your learning experience, we want to be sure that the tutor you chose is the right one. This way, the first lesson offered is essential for you to see if the chosen teacher is the right one to help you achieve your goals.
So, what are you waiting for? Now you know how to find the best private biology teachers in Christchurch. You are just some clicks away from academic success. Book your first lesson for free at Superprof!