"When kids look up to scientists the way they do musicians, actors and sport figures, civilization will jump to the next level." - Brian Greene
What was your favourite subject at school? It sure wasn't biology, nor maths. We probably focused more on getting good grades or simply passing than on developing scientific thinking during our school years. However, it is never too late to become re-enchanted with science.
It is vital to understand that science is a way of thinking, rather than just a subject. Scientific thinking allows us to see the world from another perspective and to go beyond our knowledge and abilities because it involves the methodical use of different parts of the brain. On the other hand, scientific thinking is a life skill that will be very useful in whatever field we pursue in the future.
Many students around the world have a hard time when it comes to scientific disciplines such as biology, mathematics, physics, or chemistry. Fortunately, today it is easier to get help to develop science skills and succeed, whether you are passing your NCEA levels exams, starting a new career, or job. Thanks to Superprof, you can find the best biology tutor for your needs in Auckland or other cities such as Wellington or Christchurch, at affordable prices, with excellent skills, and above all with a passion for teaching.
Why is Biology so Important?
Biology is a science that examines the structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, and distribution of living things. It also classifies and describes organisms, their functions, and how species have come into existence.
Biology is present every second of our existence, as when we inhale, and exhale and every cell receives oxygenated blood and releases carbon dioxide. So, as you can see, it's more important than you think.
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world." -Louis Pasteur
The following are some of the most relevant reasons as to why studying biology is an essential discipline in our lives:
- Biological discoveries improve our quality of life: Biology is one of the fundamental foundations of modern health. It deals with the research and creation of everything from over-the-counter painkillers, prescription drugs for cancer to genetics. It is also essential for the food industry, as well as for sports science and the development of any new technologies. Many major discoveries in the fields of medicine, agriculture, biotechnology, and ecology have brought important improvements in the quality of life of human beings in the whole world.
- Shapes Several Careers: Biology is one of the essential subjects that everyone has to take during primary and secondary school. The reason is that it helps in the formation of various professional careers. If in the future you want to become a doctor, a chemist, an engineer, a nurse, a psychologist, a teacher, or other non-science inclined professions, studying the scientific concepts of life and other living organisms will be a useful tool for achieving success in any chosen field of study.
- Biology Boosts our Appreciation of life and the Environment: when we can understand how our bodies work, how we get sick, and how we get healed, we tend to value our life a little bit more. Also, being able to understand how different species can coexist in the same ecosystem leads us to have a wider view of our planet. Biologists discover amazing things that make us love a certain landscape, a specific animal, or flower. The world is a beautiful place when we try to learn how everything in nature works.
"Biology is the most powerful technology ever created. DNA is software, protein are hardware, cells are factories". Arvind Gup
The Best Biology Tutors in the Auckland Area
Auckland is New Zealand's largest city, so it can be a bit overwhelming to find a private tutor according to your learning style. So, here we mention some options that could make your search faster and simpler:
- Achieve Centres for Education: Also known as ACE, this tuition centre is located on Auckland's North Shore. They offer in-centre and online tutoring through their own online learning platform ACE Online. In-centre lessons have a maximum of 3 students per teacher. They create individualised programmes for each student that align with the New Zealand Curriculum.
- KTL Tuition: is a tuition company that focuses on individual needs and provides tailor-made lessons, but always following the national curriculum. Thus, they prepare students to succeed at school and pass standardized exams. They have a friendly atmosphere in their centres, but it is also possible to have online lessons.
- My Tuition: They are available in Auckland, Tauranga and Wellington. They offer different kinds of services, such as after school workshops, NCEA exams preparation courses, private tutoring at home or online. They also develop programmes along with some schools to support refugee students.
However, if you want to learn with the best, Superprof has the best private tutors in the education industry to help you out. Whether you are a biology student or you are about to take your NCEA levels exams, a qualified, affordable, and passionate teacher is waiting for you!
Most biology tutors in Auckland hold awesome diplomas from prestigious institutions such as the University of Auckland or the Auckland University of Technology. Thus, you are in good hands!
How much does a private biology lesson cost? The price per hour varies according to the tutor's experience, qualifications, and reviews. However, the hourly rate goes from $15 to $50. Prices are accessible to all budgets at Superprof!
The best part of it all is that most Superprof tutors offer their first lesson for free. This way you can see if you feel comfortable and you want to continue learning with that instructor. It is quite important to feel at ease while learning, and we want to be sure that you are enjoying the process.
In-Person or Online Biology Lessons with a Tutor?
What do you prefer? face to face or online lessons? There's a current debate about the best option to have private tutoring. Since the Covid -19 pandemic started, online tutoring has become more and more popular. However, not everyone may feel comfortable with online learning. So, what are the pros and cons of both learning methods? Here you can find a summary to help you choose the best modality:
Advantages and Disadvantages of In-Person Private Biology Tuition
Face-to-face lessons are the most traditional way of private tutoring. It is fully recommended for those who give great importance to the connection it can be established between the student and the instructor. They are also recommended for people who just don't get used to or don't enjoy online tutoring platforms. When it comes to biology and you want to have more practical lessons, as carrying out some experiments, in-person classes could be a better option. This way, your instructor can supervise you more closely and prevent you from burning the house!
Nevertheless, in-person tuition means that either the tutor or the student has to commute to the place chosen for the lessons. This can be time-consuming and also, it can add an extra cost associated with transport. Moreover, face-to-face lessons are usually more expensive if you take them individually, rather than as a group.
Pros and Cons of Online Private Biology lessons
Nowadays, you can take private biology lessons from anywhere, whether you live in a big city as Auckland or in a remote area in Hamilton. So, it doesn't matter if the most perfect teacher lives miles or hours away from your town.
To have virtual biology lessons you just need the internet and a device such as a computer, tablet, or smartphone. This also allows you to save time and manage your schedules more easily. There's no commuting time for you or your tutor and no extra cost for transport. Sounds good? yes, of course! Those are the best things about long-distance learning, and why not saying it, you can be wearing your pyjamas and have a cup of tea while in front of the screen. Just be discrete!
However, online private classes have some disadvantages as well. As an example, elderly people may experience some troubles while trying to use online platforms or video conferencing apps. In addition to this, some studies have found out that the attention span diminishes considerably when you have online lessons in comparison to when having face-to-face classes.
As you have seen, these are some of the most relevant pros and cons of both, in-person and virtual private lessons. The method you choose will mostly depend on your profile and lifestyle. Anyway, it is rather important to say that in pandemic times, many people may feel safer taking online classes with a tutor. Some others may still feel more comfortable with face-to-face lessons. The good thing is that you can choose which service suits you best to learn biology with one of our Superprof tutors.
In conclusion, sciences can be hard to learn, but thanks to Superprof it is much easier nowadays. Finding qualified and affordable biology tutors in Auckland has never been simpler! Superprof is the right place to find help, as our instructors will adapt their classes to your specific needs and requirements. What are you waiting for? Book a biology class with the best teachers at Superprof!
The platform that connects tutors and students