PhD in media and communication; offers teaching in journalism, media and communications to the undergraduate, diploma, PG diploma, masters students. An expert in online teaching via Zoom, Microsoft teams; assists with readings, quite interactive, actively clarify question/doubt, gives contemporary examples.
I am a media and communication scholar having my undergraduate degree in BA (Hons) Journalism, MA Media Governance and PhD in Media and Communication. I specialise in social media research along with interest in linking theoretical concepts with contemporary examples.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
• October 2015 – April 2020: PhD in Media and Communication, University of Canterbury.
• 2012 – 2015: Content writer for UK-based Financial Research company, Business Monitor International (BMI) Research.
• 2010 – 2012: MA in Media Governance from the Centre for Culture, Media and Governance (CCMG), Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) (Central Government University), New Delhi, India.
• 2007 – 2010: BA (Hons) Journalism from Delhi University, New Delhi, India.
• 2009: Certificate course in Photojournalism from Indian Institute of Mass Communication in collaboration with Photo Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, India.
• 2009 – 2010: Undergraduate diploma in the French language from Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan, an Indian educational trust.
• Best PhD presentation (3rd prize) in the Postgraduate Showcase at Canterbury University in 2015.
• Academic member in the Australia and New Zealand Communication Association (ANZCA), Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) and Common Grounds Scholars (CGS) network.
• Gold medal for securing the first position in MA Media Governance (Two-year full-time Postgraduate Programme) from CCMG, JMI, New Delhi, India in 2012.
• Certificate of Merit in BA (Hons) Journalism for academic achievement from Delhi University for 2009.
• Certificate of Academic Excellence in BA (Hons) Journalism annual examination from Delhi University in 2008.
TEACHING PROFICIENCY AND TECHNOLOGICAL EXPERTISE
• 2016 – 2019: Lecturing, tutoring and marking – communication paper (Undergraduate level) COMS225 - Citizen, democracy and public life online, in collaboration with Helsinki University (Finland), Canterbury University (New Zealand) and Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) embracing unique pedagogical practise using Facebook for online learning.
• 2019: Tutoring and marking - Human Services paper (Undergraduate level) HSRV204 - Culture, Indigeneity and Citizenship; Social work paper (Undergraduate level) SOWK203 -Policy Debates in Social Services.
• 2016 and 2019: Guest lecturer, tutoring, marking – communication paper (Undergraduate level) COMS205/POLS232 - Media and Politics.
• 2017: Guest lecturer – (Undergraduate level) COMS305 – Media and Social Change; Tutoring and marking communication papers COMS104 – Introduction to Advocacy Communication.
Use of technology & innovation-developing synergies in teaching
• E-teaching through Facebook, Adobe Connect, YouTube videos, Presemo, educational documentaries, academic quizzes (through Kahoot).
• Online teaching via Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Google Meet.
• Proficient use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office Picture Manager, SPSS, PHP and Visual Basics 6.0 SQL 2000, Pie-chart, bar graphs representation.
• Adoption of strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills to enable students to grasp new technical concepts quickly and effectively utilise them.
• Facilitation of learning by using software such as R, Python, NVivo and Photoshop.
Future Research Agenda
• Social media and terrorism
• Media and terrorism studies
• Digital text and image multimodality
• Conflict communication
• Social media and queer space
• Presented research paper as a keynote speaker at the international conference – “Journalism in the world of terrorism” organised by Fojo Media Institute and Linnaeus University in Kalmar, Sweden, June 2017.
• Presented research paper – “Social media and Terrorism” at Australia and New Zealand Communication Association (ANZCA) conference, July 2018.
• Presented research paper – “Social media platforms and their role in contemporary LGBT movements in New Zealand” at the Third International Communication Conference, University of Berkeley, California, USA, October 2018.
• Presented research paper – “A five-layered discoursal strategy in Al Qaeda’s e-magazine, Inspire” at ANZCA Conference 2019 at Canberra University, Australia, July 2019.
• Presented research paper – “Co-constructing a media narrative: Interviews with LGBT activists from the 1960s and 1970s in New Zealand”; submitted, and research paper presented, at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) conference at Toronto, Canada, August 2019.
• Presented research paper – “Co-constructing a media narrative: Interviews with LGBT activists from the 1960s and 1970s in New Zealand” at the UC Poster Showcase Competition, 2019.
• 2016 – 2020: Residential Assistant with Campus Living Villages offering pastoral care to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
• 2017 – 2019: Postgraduate Peer Advisor with the Postgraduate Office at Canterbury University assisting Master and PhD students with their research.
• 2017 – 2018: New Zealand Union of Students Association – Field Officer for various projects associated with healthy University campuses across New Zealand.
• 2013 – 2015: Content writer for a UK-based multinational company, Business Monitor International (BMI) research (Auto, IT, Freight and Shipping sector).
• July 2008: Internship with the Indian National Broadcaster, Doordarshan.
• May 2008: Internship with an Indian National Daily, The Hindu newspaper.
• Language Proficiencies:
- English (can read, write, speak, understand, and peer-review).
- Hindi (can read, write, speak and understand)/
- Bengali (can speak and understand).
social skills lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest social communication lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, journalism lessons for all!
Taking communication lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$25||$25|
|5 hours||Not available||$100||$125|
|10 hours||Not available||$200||$250|