My teaching is fun, interesting and high energy. I base my classes on the real world and current events. I choose articles, pictures etc. to elicit previously taught language and to teach new language to my students. I believe that by talking about different and interesting topics, students use language they didn't realise they already knew as well as learning lots of new language. This is a method that can be used with all ages. I occasionally incorporate games into my lessons, even with adult learners, as this is a brilliant way to encourage new language and it can even make the English language seem less serious!
I am an ESOL teacher here in Auckland. I have been teaching both online and in classrooms for the past 18 months. I have taught students from 6 years old to 76 years old, from all over the world. I have taught both individually and classrooms/ online classes of up to 15 students and my students have gone on to be successful in high school in Auckland and other aspects of their life. With a background in internationally nannying, I have experience working with people from a vast variety of backgrounds and cultures, which just so happens to be my favourite part of the job!
University of Stirling, Scotland, 2007-2011
BA (Hons). 2:1 in English Studies and French
Subjects included: Vast array of English literature, French and Francophone culture studies, French grammar and language.
Université de Provence Aix-Marseille I, France, January - May 2010 (ERASMUS Programme)
Subjects included: French grammar, French/English translation training, French political and social history and European Relations.
TEFL, 120 hour Qualification, obtained August 2019.
English Language Teacher at Duke Institute of Studies, Auckland, 09-12/ 2019 & 12/ 2020 – Present.
As my first official ESL teaching position, my time at Duke Institute of Studies taught me a great amount in a short period of time. Duke is a small family run school where, on my first day, I was given a textbook and a classroom full of students and not much more. Intimidating as it may have been, I am very grateful for the trust and space they gave me to find my feet as a teacher. Duke follows a basic syllabus with plenty of room for the teachers to create their own exercises and activities, allowing me to explore all angles of being an ESL teacher. My experience at Duke highlighted my ability to learn on the job and use my initiative.
English Language Teacher at Education First, Auckland, 01-02/ 2020.
I felt very grateful to be part of the Summer Term Team at Education First, Auckland, teaching students from all over the world. As Education First is a large company with schools internationally, they have an incredible diverse syllabus in place. Here I would spend about 75% of my time teaching General English and the other 25% teaching Special Interest classes. I loved the variety that Special Interest classes brought to my teaching week, where I could apply English language learning to a chosen interest of the students, eg. Global Issues, Current Events etc. This quite often lead to strong debates and discussions between the students bringing an amazing energy into the classroom. My time at Education First taught me how to be a proactive member of a large dynamic teaching team along with teaching me how to apply appropriate resources from a large database.
Online English Language Teacher with English2China and Clong, 09/19- 03-20.
Working with English2China in conjunction with Clong’s teaching software, was my first experience of teaching online. Here I had to learn how to use new software quickly and adapt to teaching online. This was great opportunity to experience an online teaching platform only months before online teaching became the global norm.
vocabulary - english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest esol (english) lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|