Once you decide to become a teacher/tutor, you realize that it is a demanding job as much as it is a rewarding job. Before you decide to take up a teaching job, it is prudent to do your research and take note of what's involved.
You could become a maths tutor, chemistry tutor, a French tutor, algebra tutor or biology tutor but becoming an English tutor has some privileges.
English skills are crucial for succeeding in English class as well as other classes which students take. Due to this fact, English teachers are provided with a plethora of teaching opportunities. They can teach an amalgam of literary genres ranging from classic, fiction, film, web-based media, non-fiction etc.
A good quality English education enables students to be able to speak and write fluently in English. Their communication skills improve and they are able to convey their ideas and emotions in a much better way. They also develop necessary listening and reading skills which help them understand others better.
Students grow socially, spiritually, intellectually, emotionally and culturally once they refine their English reading skills. In order to fully participate in the society, they have to acquire all the skills of the English Language.
51.6% of the internet is in English, which means that to get the maximum benefit out of the knowledge available online, one has to be proficient in English, the sentence structure, verbs, tenses, vocabulary etc.
What are the Duties of a Reputable English Teacher?
English tutors or teachers are responsible for teaching English as a subject, by following certain curriculum guidelines. They impart extensive knowledge of English to their students.
Their duty is to promote high standards of English both as a language and as a medium of literature. They should ensure that the students are getting a command over the language by becoming adept in both writing and speaking skills. The responsibilities of teachers in this regard, could include:
- Planning lessons, homework and assignments
- Developing writing skills of students in school
- Development of Vocabulary and Grammar
- Improving the literacy of students through the study of specific English books and stories
- Assessing the work of their students by reviewing their work one-on-one in classroom
- Monitoring their progress and study skills
- Study materials and read different books in order to prepare for class
- Arrange activities and provide assignments that meet the learning needs of each and every student
- Rewarding them grades based on their English exams and tests
- Deliver extensive lectures that are not only rich in information but are also engaging
- Meeting with parents to discuss their performance in classroom
Your Guide to English Teaching According to the National Curriculum
The students learning English, are usually from a diverse range of backgrounds. English teaching has thus, an opportunity for you to utilize English language to analyze, construct and give birth to new ideas and knowledge. The English national curriculum is designed to ensure the following:
- The students get a full command over the language and are able to read fluently and that too with maximum understanding
- They become accustomed to reading and adopt it as a hobby both for fun and information.
- They develop the knowledge of the linguistic conventions necessary for reading, speaking and writing
- The students grow their vocabulary and develop an understanding of the rules of grammar
- They also appreciate the variety and heritage of the literary pieces found in English language
- They learn to become good writers and are able to write with style, accuracy and coherence
- They are able to carry out productive arguments and discussions in order to maximize their learning.This would also enable them to spread their ideas
- They are capable of taking part in debates and demonstrate strong presentation skills
Once you become an English tutor, you would be expected to put your training of literature, reading and writing to use. It would be incumbent upon you to ensure that your students are learning according to the standards.
How to Officially Qualify to Teach English to KS1/2 in a School?
Most schools require English teachers to have a minimum qualification of Bachelor's with concentration in English or education. Apart from that, to teach in England and Wales, you need to gain QTS (Qualified Teaching Status) which can be obtained by getting enrolled in one year ITT (Initial Teaching Training) program under any school or university.
After you finish the course, and get awarded QTS, you become NTS (Newly Qualified Teacher) making you eligible for induction year. You might also be required to take a teacher training program. For that, you would need to apply through UCAS teacher training program during Autumn.
The requirements for you to train as a certified teacher in England are as follows:
- Work experience of teaching in school. Minimum of two weeks are sufficient. Volunteer in schools to gain the experience.
- A UK Degree in English Literature or English Language. If not, then you can also take up a subject knowledge enhancement course
- A GCSE with at least grade C in English and Mathematics.
- During the application process of your training course, you must pass the professional skills test of numeracy and literacy
As a part of teacher training program, you will take courses of classroom management, various teaching strategies, assessment of students and differentiated instructions. You will also acquire the experience of teaching students by becoming a part of a real classroom.
To tutor upper level programs such as post-secondary or university level, the prospective English tutors are also required to obtain a Master's Degree or an accreditation from British Council in some cases.
Guide to Teaching Key Stages 1/2
The English tutoring at KS1 and KS2 involves program of study around
- English Reading
- English Writing
The main area of focus for tutors of Key stage 1 and Key stage 2 should be
- Word reading
- Listening and reading comprehension
The English tutor would act as a reading tutor and should focus on developing the skills of his/her students in both dimensions mentioned above. It is worth noting here that these two dimensions require different kinds of teaching.
The primary focus of the tutor is to ensure that his/her students learn to quickly pronounce new and unfamiliar words along with the familiar ones.
Phonics should be taught at the early stage of teaching reading so that the young students develop an understanding of the letters and their sound in spoken words.
Providing linguistic knowledge helps the novice learner in learning good comprehension skills especially of grammar and vocabulary.
The tutor should indulge in high-quality discussion with the pupil to fuel the development of their comprehension skills through experience.
Reading a wide range of non-fiction, poems and stories also serve as a good path to the gradual development of their comprehension skills.
The habit of reading should be imparted onto the students as early as possible. This habit is crucial for them to understand and develop their knowledge of this world as well as themselves. By being tutored in this way, the students gain an understanding of the curriculum.
Reading regularly is the best way to increase the words in a child’s dictionary. When they read, they encounter new words which are not heard in everyday speech.
Reading also serves the imaginations of the curious, naïve and young minds by opening up treasures of whole new worlds.
The study programmes for writing at key stage 1 and key stage 2 are similar to those for reading.The writing program also include two modules :
- Spelling and handwriting of words i.e. Transcription
- Crafting speech and writing based upon ideas i.e. Composition
The responsibility of the English writing tutor would be to develop the study skills of the students by enhancing their competence in these two dimensions. They should be trained on how to evaluate their writing after planning and revising it.
At Key stages 1 and key stages 2, the primary focus is around teaching the young minds to write down ideas depending on efficient transcription. They should be able work on their weaknesses by being able to spell accurately and should know the relationship between letters (phonetics) and their sounds.
Developing the understanding of the word structure i.e. morphology and structure of spelling i.e. orthography, is also important.
As an English school teacher, you would be required to train the students for academic success, by teaching effective composition to the students which involves efficiently articulating ideas and writing them down in a coherent manner for the reader.
A wide collection of vocabulary and a good grammar will help in effective composition, by introducing clarity and purpose in the content the students provide.
The requirements mentioned above are for those who intend to become an official English teacher and for those who want to offer their tutoring jobs in schools and universities.
Academic teaching is not the only way to become an English teacher. You can find online teaching jobs or private tutor jobs too. You wouldn’t need too many qualifications or skills such as calculus, math science etc. to get a job outside of school and college.
- You can mentor students taking the SAT test and Psat and help them in their test prep.
- You can work from home or work in a tutoring center or a language school
- You can start finding and advising for private students on GMAT, TEFL and other standardized tests. You can provide tefl training and give tefl courses. For that, you would need to have tefl certification
- If you are self-motivated, freelance tutoring is a great way for you to become an online educator. You can get paid easily via online tutoring
- You can also start your very own tutoring business and find the best tutors to help you run your tutoring center
- Or you can become a peer tutor! Find any tutor friend who needs help in tutoring his/her group of ESL Students and start scheduling your time with them
- If you are a school teacher, go grab summer tutoring opportunities while you are free in summer vacays.
- Start home based tutoring sessions. Teach those who study English as a foreign language
- You can also get a job overseas. Teach abroad. Look for job placement in other countries which have teaching positions open for Native speakers.
- While working abroad in international teaching, you would be able to travel and teach ESL students
Whether it is teaching jobs abroad, teaching English as a second language, reading writing jobs online, internships in school, teaching business English, volunteer teaching or tefl jobs, one thing is for sure, the demand for English teachers is high all across the world and you are surely bound to succeed once you step into it & earn more from tutoring!
Learn to to manage teaching students with dyslexia here.
The platform that connects tutors and students