My teaching methodology is based on each student. I use multilingualism and translanguaging in teaching English according to the preference of the students. I prefer task based language teaching as it is proved to be one of the effective methods teaching language. I provide individual feedback for the students while encouraging them to engage in self learning.
I have been a university lecturer in English (all four basic skills, IELTs and English for specific purposes and English for Academic purposes) for six years. I have MA in TESL and MA in Applied Linguistics (VIctoria University of Wellington). I am also passionate in teaching research methodology (Qualitative), and thesis writing.
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Victoria University of Wellington
1. Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics (by thesis)- Victoria University of Wellington
• Thesis topic: Identity performance and negotiation of multilingual English language teachers in New Zealand (Pending results)
2. Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language (by course work and thesis)- Post Graduate Institute of English, Open University of Sri Lanka (2018)
• Thesis topic: “Identity, imagined communities and investment: Understanding absenteeism in ELT classes at Sri Lankan universities- a multiple case study”
3. Bachelor of Arts (General) Degree – University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (2013)
• English , Sociology and International Relations
4. Diploma in English- Aquinas College, Sri Lanka (2005)
• Participated in the work shop “Teaching English Language Skills at Undergraduate Level” conducted by Department of ELT in University of Visual and Performing Arts, Sri Lanka
• Participated in the work shop “Using Computer Assisted Language Learning for Teaching English as a Second Language” conducted by Department of ELT in University of Visual and Performing Arts, Sri Lanka
• Followed Qualitative Data Analysis course conducted by Postgraduate Institute of English-Open University, Sri Lanka
Work Experience in New Zealand
• One year experience as a permanent child care supervisor- ECAT Child Care, Miramar (since March 2020 till present)
• Worked as a Voter assistant and Administrative support for the Electoral Commission -Wellington Central (October-November 2020)
Work Experience (Academic)
1. Online Tutor- Philosophical and Sociological Bases of Education- MA in TESL, Postgraduate Institute of English, Open University of Sri Lanka. (2021)
2. Visiting Lecturer in English:
• Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka (October, 2016 - January 2019)
• Faculty of Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (October, 2016-December 2019)
• Faculty of Dancing and Drama, University of Visual and Performing Arts (July 2018 -January, 2019)
• Department of English, University of Vocational Technology (May 2019 to January 2020)
3. Temporary Lecturer in English (Full time)
• Faculty of Medicine – University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka (December 2014- October 2016)
4. Lecturer in English (Full time)
• BCAS Campus, Sri Lanka (British College of Applied Studies) (August 2013 – November 2014)
1. “Identity negotiation of an English language teacher while teaching English to refugee students in New Zealand” (Accepted for Postgraduate Forum of Applied Linguistics- 2020/2021-York St John University-UK )
2. “Identity negotiation of an English language teacher during the Covid-19 lockdown in New Zealand- a Case Study”- (ALANZ-2020)
3. “Identity, ideology and investment: Understanding absenteeism of a medical undergraduate in an ELT class at a Sri Lankan University-A case study” (Open University Research Sessions 2020, Sri Lanka)
4. “ELT research in action: Bridging the gap between practice and research” (ELT Research Symposium 2019-University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka)- Participated as a panelist
5. “Revisiting ELT research Methodology” (Open University Research Sessions 2019, Sri Lanka)- Participated as a panelist
Learner identities, teacher identities, Teaching English as a Second Language, qualitative research- narratives, identity portraits
Non Related Referees
Dr. Corrine Seals
School of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Humanities
Victoria University of Wellington.
Prof. Harshana Rambukwella
Postgraduate Institute of English,
Open University of Sri Lanka.
The above details furnished by myself are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression lessons for all!
Taking dissertation and thesis preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$35||Not available||$30|
|5 hours||$160||Not available||$150|
|10 hours||$300||Not available||$300|