- Hourly rate $30
- Response Time 24h
This teacher is currently unavailable
Richard - Royds - Psychology
- at his place
- at your home
About the lesson
I am an award-nominated and published academic, with 4 years experience and expertise of tutoring and lecturing at a Russell Group university.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
• Academic Writing Skills – GCSE to Postgraduate level
• English Language – GCSE level
• English Literature – GCSE to Undergraduate level
• Psychology – GCSE to Postgraduate level
• Social Research Methods – GCSE to Postgraduate level
• Social Science – GCSE to Postgraduate level
• Sociology – GCSE to Undergraduate level
• Study Skills – GCSE to Postgraduate level
- Tell me about your qualifications.
• PhD Social Sciences - Cardiff University, 2006-2009.
• MSc Social Research Methods (distinction) – Cardiff University, 2005-2006
• MA Social Research Methods - University of Essex, 1997-1998
• BA(Hons) Psychology with Language & Stylistics in English (2:1) – University of Luton, 1993-1997
- How much do you charge?
Fees are dependent on each student's individual circumstances. I want to help you in your studies, but want to do so in a way that is affordable.
- Where do you teach?
I teach wherever is most convenient for the tutee – at my home, at the tutee's home, or even coffee shops in town.
I am moving to Manchester at the end of December 2011.
- When are you available?
I am available to teach at weekdays and at weekends - mornings, afternoons and evenings.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach GCSE to Postgraduate level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
GCSE, A and AS-Level, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I prefer to tutor face to face. However, I can provide support, guidance and feedback on written work such as essays, coursework, dissertations and theses via email.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I am a friendly and approachable tutor, with a passion and commitment to help students succeed. My approach to tutoring is student-centered in that I believe that tutoring can only be effective if it is tailored to the needs of each individual student. Therefore, I base my sessions around an initial review of the way you learn and produce work, the role you want me to play and how you want me to support you as tutor, and your academic objectives. From this I develop a tailor-made teaching plan to help you attain your goals.
I strive to make the learning experience both enjoyable and focused. I relish creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, and devising tutorial sessions to ensure that your academic objectives are met in engaging, interesting and innovative ways. I believe the best way to make difficult ideas and theories comprehensible is to highlight their relevance to the real world and to your own experience - and that the key to good teaching lies in showing how the knowledge is important, relevant and applicable to everyday life. It is essential that, no matter what your style of learning, you feel comfortable and able to ask questions, highlight areas of particular concern, and put forward your own opinions in a positive atmosphere.
I look forward to working with you.
- High School
- NCEA Level 1
NCEA Level 2
NCEA Level 3
- What kind of experience do you have?
I am an experienced and enthusiastic tutor, with a proven ability to help students succeed in their academic endeavors.
I began tutoring in April 2011, following my four years' experience of teaching in the Higher Education sector as award-nominated lecturer and university tutor (see 'Teaching Experience' section below for full details). I have established myself as a successful home tutor, and built up a rapidly growing client base of tutees studying a range of subjects from GCSE to Postgraduate level:
• Academic Writing Skills – GCSE, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels
• English Language – GCSE level
• English Literature – GCSE and Undergraduate levels
• Psychology – Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels
• Social Research Methods – Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels
• Social Science - Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels
• Sociology – Undergraduate level
• Study Skills – GCSE, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels
Having successfully designed, conducted and published from substantive research projects at each stage of my academic career (including at Doctorate level for my PhD), I am especially well-placed to tutor on the writing of research articles, practical reports, dissertations and theses.
For the past four years I taught in the School of Social Sciences of a leading Russell Group university in the UK. Here I lectured and tutored on a number of courses at all undergraduate levels (i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd years), with a focus and expertise in social research methods, psychology and sociology. Feedback from peers and students demonstrated that I was highly effective and well liked in these teaching roles, with students nominating me as Most Effective Teacher and Most Innovative Member of Staff in the University's 2011 'Enriching Student Life Awards'. In addition, I have taught international students whose first language is not English, and assisted with linguistic aspects of their work (e.g. proofreading essays and checking grammar). I am very aware and sensitive to the issues these students face.
My nominations for the two teaching awards mentioned above demonstrate my effectiveness in engaging with and encouraging students, and facilitating their learning. In addition, I have published a number of papers based on my social research studies in international, peer-reviewed academic journals (see 'Articles' section below for full details), and I am currently writing a book based on my PhD thesis.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Application in progress.
- Where and with whom did you train?
Cardiff University's School of Social Sciences.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Graduate member of British Sociological Association.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I am currently tutoring students studying degree level psychology, degree level English literature, and degree level sociology. I am also tutoring a student conducting social research and writing a dissertation for their psychology degree.
- 5h: $150
- 10h: $300