I teach by listening to each student and learning what they need help with, be it a specific type of skill or a particular piece of work. I structure my lessons by having an initial discussion about what the student hopes to gain out of the tutoring session, and from there providing exercises and information which will help them work towards improving their abilities. I can teach students of any age up to university level.
I have a joint degree in English Language and Literature from the University of Edinburgh, and during my time at school I helped students with reading, writing and spelling in class and held an after school revision session for students who wanted to ask questions or required additional help.
September 2015-July 2019 - MA (Hons) English Language and Literature, University of Edinburgh, 2:1:
- Four years’ experience of extensive independent research; studied language pathology, historical linguistics, Scottish folklore and European fantasy literature
- Final year dissertation traced the evolution of the literary vampire throughout popular literature, from Carmilla and Dracula to more contemporary forms of vampire narratives
July 2011- May 2015 - Glen Urquhart High School:
- Advanced Highers: English and Maths
- Highers: English, Maths, History, Physics, Chemistry and Spanish
- Four years of academic writing, editing and note-taking has strengthened my copyediting, copy-auditing and proofreading skills; am an accurate and attention-focused writer as all academic work adhered to specified writing guidelines
- Have an extensive understanding of how to apply all aspects of English grammar to speaking and writing due to completing a joint English degree
- Creative thinker and writer due to being a copyeditor for a university society magazine and years of creative writing
- Am a highly effective communicator and can summarise complex concepts in concise language
- Communicate meaningfully and confidently at all times
- Experience working with audio equipment and software, such as Praat
- Became copyeditor for a creative writing magazine ran by PublishEd, a university society, in final year; was chosen after giving a two minute speech alongside seven other potential candidates
- Published one magazine per semester so had to stick to strict deadlines to ensure the magazine went to print in time for the launch; worked alongside 11 editing team members to choose a theme and select submissions – this involved resolving disagreements within the group and having to make decisions based on which submissions best suited the chosen theme
- Myself and another copyeditor organized how to split our workload, responsible for proofreading/copyediting a portion of the submissions and also the finished magazine to ensure all pieces matched the author’s submission, and that all the text and design was correctly formatted
- Aided the organising of events and greeting guests, booking rooms, coming up with new ideas for, and attending/working at, our fortnightly events and activities
- Head prefect for pupil support in high school, was the first point of contact pupils came to with personal issues, responsible for aiding children with additional needs in classrooms, lead a weekly after-school revision class for students
- Am a creative person who loves reading, writing and playing instruments
- Passionate about fitness and health - an avid weightlifter and swimmer, and also enjoy regular yoga and meditation. Strongly believe that a healthy body is essential to a healthy mind, and leading an active lifestyle leads to production in other aspects of life
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, english literature lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$15||$15|
|5 hours||Not available||$62||$77|
|10 hours||Not available||$125||$154|