I am a relaxed and down to earth person but I still emphasise the importance of getting work done. Teaching a student to enjoy a subject is at the core of my "methodology" so I would begin by encouraging the student to have fun and explore the possibilities of the field before getting to the task at hand.
I am currently a student at Victoria University of Wellington studying towards a bachelor of arts. I have previously studied music up to NCEA level 3 and have 12 years of experience playing piano which includes performing live individually and with groups in a professional and private capacity. I have been tutoring an intermediate school child for the last 2 in English and Maths but am currently looking to combine my passion for education and music.
2018 NCEA Level 3, Excellence Endorsed
2018 NCEA Level 3 Subjects: Classics, English, Religious Studies, Mandarin, History, Music, Chemistry
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
2020 Victoria University Dean’s List for Academic Excellence
2019 MVP for New Zealand, New Zealand v Canada
NZ Men’s U19 Floorball Team
2018 Victoria University of Wellington Tangiwai Scholarship for Excellence
2018 NZQA Scholarship Biology Award
2018 Wellington High School Year 13 Dean’s Award
2018 Wellington High School Principal's Award in Recognition of Outstanding Academic Achievement.
2018 Wellington High School Sportsman of the Year Award
● Excellent verbal, written, listening, and critical thinking skills.
● Excellent relationship management and leadership skills including mentoring and role modeling.
● Excellent self-management skills including reliability, conscientiousness, professional integrity, focus, attention to detail, workload organization, and time management.
● Excellent awareness in finding the right balance between using initiative and seeking guidance.
BA majoring in International Relations and Mandarin
Victoria University of Wellington
March 2020 to present (full time, ongoing)
I achieved an A grade average in my first year. I will begin my second year of study in late February 2021.
April 2019 to present. (Casual, ongoing)
I tutor a 13 year old student in English and Maths in his own home for one hour twice a week.
My role includes:
● Preparing, running, and evaluating twice-weekly one-hour study sessions.
● Providing regular feedback on school the student’s class work.
● Addressing the queries of the student’s parents in person and via email.
● Breaking down topics into components to reach a better understanding of the topic as a whole which is clear for the student.
Tutoring has had many positive outcomes for me, in particular in improving my one on one communication skills as a teacher and gaining a greater understanding that explaining problems from more than one point of view can help people gain a better understanding.
Band for hire
2016 to present (Casual, ongoing)
I am the keyboard player in a semi-professional four-piece jazz/funk band. I have played with this group for over four years performing in public events including at the New Zealand Youth Awards at parliament for the last two years and at the 2018 Free Store Festival at the Southern Cross Bar alongside a selection of Wellington artists. We also perform privately at events such as weddings and parties.
My role includes:
● Learning a large repertoire of songs of varied difficulty and style.
● Working with a small group of people to practice and produce a high-quality product.
● Managing practice and performance times around the band members’ commitments.
● Addressing client or soundtech queries in person, on the phone, or via email.
● Organising the finances of the band for gigs which I act as band manager, including ird forms, invoices, and tax returns.
Working with these musicians has given me an opportunity to turn my passion for music into an enjoyable casual job. It has taught me to balance my leadership skills and position as a team member for the most effective results.
New Zealand Electoral Commission
23 September 2017. (Fixed contract)
I worked for the Electoral Commission during the 2017 general election. This was a great opportunity to learn about the New Zealand political system as someone who is interested in politics.
My role included:
● Data entry and management of counted votes into the electoral commission national database.
● Moving ballot boxes between locations.
● Acting honestly to ensure the integrity of the New Zealand electoral process.
● Working with a team of electoral staff under the Returning Officer
In this role I quickly and effectively learnt how to use an unfamiliar data entry interface with minimal assistance. I also drew on my team working skills to help my fellow staff members run a smooth, efficient, and impartial electoral office. While in this role I ignored my own personal political opinions in order to carry out my job as required.
Wellington Storm Floorball Club for the ASB Sports Centre
May 2019 to present. (Casual, ongoing)
The Wellington Storm Floorball Club supplies casual coaches for the ASB Sports Centre’s school sports programme. This programme provides sporting opportunities for primary and intermediate-aged children during school hours.
Working as a coach for the Wellington Storm Floorball Club makes me a face for a club that wants to grow, especially with young people and schools, and because of this I am required to be the best ambassador for the sport that I can be. This means drawing on my floorball experience, making sure that the children enjoy themselves, and most importantly keeping everybody involved safe.
My role includes:
● Coaching groups of up to 30 children between the ages of 5 and 10 by myself or with another coach for periods of 45 minutes at a time.
● Planning sessions in advance, based on duration of session, age of children, and their prior experience with floorball to give them the best experience of the game.
● Ensuring the safety of all of the children under my supervision.
● Communicating effectively with ASB Sports Centre staff members and the children’s teachers .
This experience working with children has honed my communication and leadership skills and can be a lot of fun. This job is also a great opportunity to help the Wellington Storm grow as a club which is fantastic as the club has done a lot to develop my physical fitness and general life skills. I hope that through my work as a coach I can help introduce more players to the club and floorball.
Secretary & Junior League Manager
Wellington Storm Floorball Club
Phone: (concealed information)
Email: (concealed information)
Mother of tutored student
Phone: (concealed information)
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest piano lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, musical keyboard lessons for all!
Taking jazz piano lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$27||$27||Not available|