My teaching method is a more hands on approach. When it comes to teaching History and Sociology , I lay emphasis on storytelling. Young impressionable minds need to understand the subject through logical reasoning and keeping an open mind. Once the story telling is over, I will open the session for an informal discussion on the topic, including creative expression where written work involves painting, drawing and 'Imagine Yourself' activity. I will draw examples from the visual medium- art history, cinema and music. At the same time, I will encourage the students to view their own surroundings to understand these subjects in a wholistic way.
I have a Masters in History, followed by M.Phil in Diaspora Studies from the University of Hyderabad. My M.Phil dissertation was on 'Historical Representations of Indian Indentured Diaspora'.
My area of interests are- History, Sociology, Anthropology, Film Studies, Pop Culture.
I have worked as a teacher in a school which was a challenging and an enjoyable job. I taught History and Sociology. I have worked with two reputed international academic publication houses- SAGE Publishing and Taylor and Francis Group.
I enjoy writing and cinema. My idea of a happy work involves fluidity.
THE SHRIRAM MILLENNIUM SCHOOL, NOIDA JULY 2017- OCTOBER 2018
Teacher, History & Civics and Sociology
Worked as a teacher where I taught History & Civics in middle school and Sociology in high school. My job responsibilities included the following-
• Class VI- Ancient civilizations- Mesopotamian, Indus Valley and Egyptian, Early Indian History- Early and Late Vedic Society, Jainism and Buddhism, and Empires in ancient India.
• Class VII- Medieval World- Rise of Christianity and Islam, Medieval Age in India- Delhi Sultanate, Early Mughals, Religious Movements, The Making of Our Constitution, Fundamental Rights and Duties, and Directive Principles of State Policy.
• Class VIII- 18th century India, Later Mughals and European powers in India, Establishment of the English East India Company- from traders to political masters- Battle of Plassey, and Battle of Buxar, 19th century India- Revolt of 1857, Religious Reform Movements in India, Birth of the Indian National Congress, 20th century India- freedom movements in India- Moderate, Extremist and Gandhian nationalism, and Partition of India.
• Class IX- Modern Europe- Renaissance, Reformation and Industrial Revolution, Panchayati Raj in India, and Directive Principles of State Policy.
• Class XI- The Origin and Development of Sociology, Research Methodology, Basic Concepts, Social Structure, Social Problems, Indian Sociologists.
• Class XII- Social Institutions, Religion and Society, Political and Economic organizations
• Started a new club as part of club activity- Film Appreciation to engage students in the art of cinema. The students moderated, discussed and shared their views on cinema and why it is an important art form. Short films and film clips were shown as part of discussion.
• Non-teaching duties as allocated to me by the school management from time to time.
TAYLOR AND FRANCIS GROUP FEBRUARY 2017- June 2017
Assistant Editor, Journals Peer Review
Worked as Assistant Editor, Journals Peer Review in Taylor and Francis Group. My job responsibilities included the following:
• Perform top level analysis of originality results and prepare reports on the results for appropriate parties.
• Checking author-generated data entries and electronic files of manuscripts before transfer to the Production department.
• Prepare reports, collating and analysing statistics in relation to submission numbers, processing times and outcome.
• Liaise with global team to ensure effective management and support of online systems.
• Troubleshoot problems with online systems.
• Take, prepare and distribute team meeting minutes.
• Provide appropriate cover in the Senior Editor's absence.
• Deal with correspondence and routine enquiries, ensuring these are directed to appropriate departments or resources.
SAGE PUBLICATIONS, NEW DELHI
Editorial Assistant-Peer Review (Journals) JANUARY 2015 – FEBRUARY 2017
Worked as an Editorial Assistant-Peer Review (Journals) in Sage Publications. It included the following:
• Checking submitted manuscripts in through SAGE Track by ensuring that they conform to the submission criteria and are ready for the peer review process.
• Using e-mail templates to contact authors for sourcing missing/incorrect material in manuscripts submitted for peer review.
• Ensuring that authors of accepted manuscripts complete and submit the electronic contributor form through SAGE Track.
• Checking accepted manuscripts to ensure that all the necessary components are present and ready for the SAGE Production team prior to export. This includes, but is not limited to, checking manuscripts to ensure that author contact information is up to date, all files are in an editable electronic format, permissions for copyrighted material are collected, and references conform to the appropriate style (APA, Chicago, ASA, AMA, CSE, etc.).
• Using e-mail templates to contact authors for sourcing missing/incorrect material in final manuscript files submitted for production.
• Exporting accepted manuscripts from SAGE Track to the SAGE Production Editor no later than the article deadlines, as defined by the SAGE Production Editor.
• Forwarding to respective PRAs all queries received from authors, reviewers, associate editors, and journal editors for resolution.
• Generating specific reports as required for journals.
LADY KEANE COLLEGE, SHILLONG OCTOBER 11 – DECEMBER 11
At Lady Keane College Shillong, I offered both Honors and Pass courses in History.
• Class 11 and 12: Evolution of Man, Writing and City Life, Agrarian structure in Mughal State, Reconstructing History through Chronicles
• B.A 1st year: Historical Materialism, Ashoka and the Magadhan Empire
• B.A 2nd year : Continuity and Change in Indian Art and Architecture from Mauryan to Gupta Age and changing cultural traditions from Gupta Age to the 12th centuries AD.The Revolt of 1857,
• B.A 3rd year: French Revolution, Napoleon Bonaparte, Contemporary World History 1939-1990’s-Space Exploration, Nuclear Politics and IT Revolution.
BISSAU COLLEGE, SHILLONG AUGUST 2011 – OCTOBER 2011
At Bissau College, Shillong I offered courses for both Honors and Pass courses.
• Class 11 and 12: Industrial Revolution and Modern China; Sufi and Bhakti Movements in India, The Revolt of 1857,
• B.A 2nd year : Modern India
• B.A 3rd year Modern Western World
NATIONAL COUNCIL of RURAL INSTITUTE, HYDERABAD
MINISTRY of HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT, GOI MARCH 2011 – MAY 2011
Undertook research to list and promote Gandhian philosophy of Nai Talim System among various Indian schools which focuses on Gandhian principles of grass root education.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Wordsmith, Kolkata, Craigslist, Work n Hire, Chillibreeze
M.Phil in Centre for Study in Indian Diaspora, 2011
Thesis Title: Historical Representations of Indian Indentured Diaspora’
Centre for Study in Indian Diaspora
University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
Cumulative Grade Point Average: 8.83
Master of Arts in History, 2009
University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh,
Cumulative Grade Point Average: 7.56
Bachelor of Arts History, 2007
North East Hill University, Shillong, Meghalaya
Higher Secondary (10 + 2), 2004
Pine Mount School, Shillong, Meghalaya
I.S.C Board, New Delhi, India
Secondary (10), 2002
Pine Mount School, Shillong, Meghalaya
I.C.S.E., New Delhi, India
RESEARCH AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE/EXPOSURE
Participated in a two weeks workshop in Indian Institute of Research in Numismatics Study, Nasik on “Practical Guide to the Fundamentals of Indian Numismatics.” From July 03- 17, 2008.
Undertook research to list and promote Gandhian philosophy of Nai Talim System among various Indian schools which focuses on Gandhian principles of grass root education as Research Associate, National Council of Rural Institutes, Hyderabad.
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
• Participated in 12th National Bharat Rang Mahotsav Festival, National School Of Drama, New Delhi, India from January 10 – 23, 2010
• Active member of theatre Group AVARTAN, Hyderabad from July 2010
• Participated in Avartan Theatre Workshop with the students of university of Hyderabad in 2011
• Participated in Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, New Delhi, India from January 03- 07, 2010
• Certified Indian Classical Music (vocal) from Bhatkhande institute, Lucknow. Completed Visharad Part I.
• Participated in a two weeks Summer Theatre Camp for Children in University of Hyderabad School Campus in 2010
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$29||Not available||$29|